Saturday, June 21, 2014

Eyes On The Prize Tiger: Focusing On Your Goals

I think - in my humble opinion - that the main reason many of us don't get the results we're expecting has two possible reasons:

  • We have unrealistic expectations in terms of timeline and the changes we think we can churn out during a given time period.
  • We aren't focused on what our real goals are, rather, we have an abstract concept of where'd like to be, therefore lack the mental focus to get there.

The truth of the matter is that you won't make it very far if you don't have a concrete plan with realistic expectations and milestones set in place. The milestones are arguably the most important aspect of the whole thing; they allow you to perform regularly timed checks to see what's working, what isn't and what needs tweaking in order to get right back on track.

Lacking in focus seems to be a problem for those who treat the concept of fitness as something recreational or seasonal. I like to think it's the most intimate of commitments one can ever make in their lifetime; dedicating yourself to constant self improvement. You should feel so committed to your body and health you'd be willing to drive up to Vermont and hold a commitment ceremony with your body.

I see way too many guys (and girls) who treat their time in the gym or on the track as some sort of social experience. They shoot the shit with each other, try and pick up someone or just flat out show up to enjoy the show. When I'm working out, I'm in my zone, nothing will distract me or make me forget why I was there in the first place. I'm here because what I'm doing there amounts to a religious experience. It's that time of the day when it's just me inside my head, no work, no family, no friends, no bills to pay and no errands to run. It's my time to shine and focus on doing what I do best; give my body the treatment it deserves - by putting it through hell.



This isn't to say that balance isn't the most important bit of all. I'm not asking you to turn into a machine which only sees food as macro and micro-nutrients and every movement as a potential exercise. We leave that shit for professional body builders. Your life should stress on balance, on finding the time to do the things you enjoy with people you love. Taking care of your body and health affords you the energy and - increased time - to so to the fullest.

Until you gather up the mental focus to make your health a priority, create a proper plan which accounts for your exercise, accompanying nutrition and more importantly, how this all fits in your life in a wholesome manner that stresses on balance in life, you may not get anywhere near where you want to go.

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE this one... I also believe 100% that this is my main problem. Inability to find balance between my constant exams and eating healthy while out or finding time to hit the gym.. As embarassing as it is. On the other hand, You're always the voice dragging our lazy asses back to the gym -WWRD?- THANK YOU SO FREAKING MUCH :D Thanks for always being there when motivation fails us :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! Sorry for the late reply. I'm really flattered by your feedback and hope to write more than inspire and motivate you to always take things to the next level. When it comes to finding time, I always tell myself it's a matter of priorities. One makes time for important things. If you want it, you'll make it happen. Keep kicking ass!

      Delete
  2. You always manage to get your meals ready and cooked for the next day. Do you bulk-cook? Could you write something about meal planning or if you have any tips? That'd be great.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like an interesting topic to explore in length indeed. Thanks for the inspiration!

      Delete